Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the greatest story ever told.

So, recently, I've fallen in love with a little book called "The Jesus Storybook Bible" (found here) We had a copy at the house up in Chicago that I started reading, so naturally when I got home, I wanted a copy so that I could finish. Yes, I know it's a children's story bible. Yes, I know that some of the pictures may be somewhat theologically inaccurate (Did Noah's ark really land on the tippy top of the mountain?). But, I love the way that it tells the stories of the Bible. And I love the way it relates almost every story back to the greater story, the love story between us and our creator, in a clear and concise manner.

"It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure. It's a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne -everything- to rescue the one he loves. It's like the most wonderful of all fairy tales that has come true  in real life!"

"God loved his children too much to let the story end there. Even thought he knew he would suffer, God had a plan- a magnificent dream. One fay, he would get his children back. One day, he would make the world their perfect home again. And one day, he would wipe away every tear from their eyes. You see, no matter, what, in spite of everything, God would love his children -with a Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love."

While it's not a substitute for reading my regular bible (the one with all the verses), I think that it can bring a new light to some old stories. It's the greatest love story ever told. And I think that when I have kids (a long time from now!) it may be a book that I bring out to read to them. I like the way it shows God's enduring love and faithfulness. Oh- and no. I'm not being paid to say any of this. I would say I bought the book myself- but actually I have a Mom that bought it for me. I just think that it is that amazing that I want to share about it! :)

In other somewhat unrelated news...I have a new favorite song. It's called Forever Changed and it's by Eddie Kirkland. I'm posting the lyrics and a link to a YouTube video to listen to.

Forever Changed
I have built with my hands all the walls that hold me in
I have wandered my way in the desert
I have struggled against all the blessing you have sent
And I'm back to the place of surrender.

Lord you meet me here in my darkest hour
And you stir my heart with your love.

Forever I am changed by mercy
Forever my heart is alive
Forever I am yours, My Savior
Forever my hope is Christ

Tears are sweet as they fall
Mercy rushes through my soul
Bowing low as you wash me with healing
Lord you sealed me with grace
Life eternally sustained
By the hope in my soul you're revealing

The power of sin has broken I have been set free
For I have died and Jesus is alive in me



No comments:

Post a Comment