Friday, June 3, 2011

book review: praying for your future husband

I don't know about you, but I know that I'm all about praying for my future husband. I write him letters and all that. It's silly, I know, but there's just something that makes me think it's a good idea. I mean, it sounds like it can't hurt, right? As some of you know, I review books for the Blogging For Books program, and the most recent book I received was "Praying For Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His" by Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer. I had really high expectations for this book. While it was an okay read (the parts I read of it), it was kind of boring. I think it really applies more to the Jr. High/ High School age range, and most of the things in there didn't apply to me as a college student (as much, anyways). While the content was okay, it didn't engage me and keep my attention. I tried several times (over the course of about a month, hence the reason it took so long to post this review)..but I just couldn't get into the book. I found myself getting distracted and having to reread the pages. It just wasn't my kind of book. On the bright side, there was a bunch of biblical insight and truths found within the book. I definitely agree with it on a theological level, I just feel like there's a better way to get the message across. At the end of each chapter, there are discussion questions that I think would work for a small group or bible study. Once again though, I think it's geared more toward younger girls. While this may be a resource I turn to with my Jr. High girls this summer, I don't think it's something I'll add to my "must read" library. It just didn't work for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment