Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring Break.

It's Spring Break this week, so I've been a really bad blogger. As in, it's Thursday and I don't have last week's Sunday Sparkle post up. Oops. I am still doing my One Dress Project though, so I thought that I would give you guys an update.

First, I have last Friday and Saturdays pictures. Friday was the last day before I left to go home for Spring Break, so that's why the background is different from the rest! Saturday was St. Patrick's Day, so of course I had to wear green so that I wouldn't get pinched!
 It's starting to get harder to not repeat outfits. I mean, I only have so many cardigans. I'm running out. But, I'm making things work. Sunday, of course, was a "mini-Easter" as my pastor calls them (Sundays are technically not part of the 40 days of lent, if you count from Ash Wednesday) so I don't have a picture since I had a day of freedom from my dress (yay for Nike shorts!). Monday, I threw a shirt on and used the dress as a skirt. Tuesday, Mom and I went shopping in Birmingham (more like Window shopping, but I did make a few purchases- some books, jeans from Anthropologie that were on sale, and a shirt from Forever 21). When I take my pictures at night, I tend to look really pale and ghostly. It's kind of creepy. I promise I'm not sick or dying, these pictures just didn't turn out great. The lighting is really bad and I had to edit on photoshop).
I'm saving yesterday's picture to post with today's tomorrow or Saturday (I like to do the double pictures better than the singles). I'm on day 25 today, so only 15 more days to go! This project is starting to wind down, and I'm getting excited. It was a ton harder than I thought, but I definitely feel blessed. When I pick out what I'm wearing in the morning, it makes me think of WHY I'm doing this. While I don't think that my As Our Own goal is going to be met (there is still time to give- button on the sidebar), this has given me the opportunity to talk about sex trafficking in a variety of ways I normally wouldn't. I've had people ask me why I'm wearing the same dress. I've gotten to share about my project.

I told my Sunday School kids what I'm doing. When I told them that there were still slaves in the world, those 4th and 5th graders didn't believe me. One of them said, "Maybe in other countries, but not in America!" When I told them that there were slaves in America and that Atlanta was one of the top human trafficking cities, they didn't want to believe me. 27 million people are enslaved around the world. That's a lot of people- and we must do something about this problem. We talked about what they can do to stand with conviction against things. One kid said he wanted to wear the same pair of shoes every day to raise awareness for kids around the world that don't have shoes. Others talked about ways to feed the hungry or stand up against bullying. I think it's so great that they are learning these things while they are still young, and I'm so glad that I get the opportunity to talk to them about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment