Today, I decided to be productive and do something. I mean, I had a goal to write some research papers over the break. But, since I left my notebook and my outline in my dorm (which is all locked up for break), I haven't been able to do much on that. So, I decided that sewing would be a good alternative. I had some projects that I've been wanting to make, so I worked on them this afternoon.here. I used a large gray tshirt that I had in my craft stash from some tshirt scarves that I had made. The bottom was cut off, so it was a little on the shorter side to begin with. I'd definitely recommend not cutting the bottom off before you begin. I was working on my appliqueing skills this afternoon (and miserably failing), so I added a heart to the bottom to add some color. Gray is just kind of dull, you know? The good think about tshirt material is that you don't have to hem anything! So, it was pretty much a 5 minute project. Two lines at the top (to make the place for the string to go through) and then sewing the square on was all the sewing required. Super simple. I'd say you could definitely make this even if you weren't a "sewer".
This is the fabric. It's Kate Spain and it's beautiful. I wanted to make a skirt, but I didn't think I would have enough to make one. Luckily, I was wrong. I make it like this one except for I put the elastic in a casing instead of putting it on the outside. Worked much better. I made the elastic tight enough that I could wear it as a high skirt (see above, pretty short), low skirt (lower left) or on top of a shirt as a "tunic-ish thing" (lower right). I really like how it turned out, and am so happy that I have a half-yard skirt! It's a little short, so I'm thinking about possibly some fabric to the bottom. The only problem is that the "white" in the skirt is actually an off-white. Bummer. So, we'll see.