Sunday, September 30, 2012

#nycgw: part 2

Friday, we got up super early (once again) to start our day out in the city. Before we left, I had looked up subway directions for us on how to get where we wanted to go. We didn't have any issues with the subway (or super sketchy people on them)- it was pretty easy. Mom was convinced that we were lost a few times, but I assured her that I had it under control. Since we didn't want to transfer trains, we did walk pretty far to different subway stations, but it was totally do-able. I'll talk more about that later. :)

One of the highlights from our trip was Friday morning's breakfast. During my research before the trip, I had come across a place called "Doughnut Plant" that had good reviews. So, I decided that we should get up that morning to make the trek to the Lower East Side to visit this wonderful place. For some reason, I was a little confused as to exactly where this place when we got off the subway in Chinatown, it was a little worrisome. But, after a small hike (and passing a baby smoking a cigarette in a stroller), we finally arrived at our destination. Let me tell you, these doughnuts were yummy. Mom had a carrot cake doughnut (pictured below) and I had a blackout one (chocolate/chocolate/chocolate/chocolate). It was pretty much like eating cake for breakfast. If you're ever in that direction, definitely check this place out. Make sure to go early though, because they do sell out of some of the good flavors (I wanted a creme brulee one, but they were out by the time we got there).

After our doughnut fest, we headed to a different subway station to catch a train to Wall Street. After an obligatory photo op at the NYSE, we headed towards the 9/11 Memorial where we had 10am tickets. The memorial was a neat experience. Since I've never been to NYC before, I really had no idea just how big the towers were. We didn't take any pictures at the Memorial, because it just seemed out of place. We also visited a church that served as a "home" for the First Responders that had all sorts of things from that day. It was really neat to see how a church was "the church" for their community in the time of crisis and basically opened their doors and was willing to do whatever to help.

After visiting the Memorial, we had planned on going to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. But, I decided that that wasn't really where I wanted to spend my time. I saw the statue when we flew in to LaGuardia, and I wasn't really in the mood for a museum.So, we took another train to Union Square, where we ate lunch at City Bakery. I had some macaroni and cheese and a pretzel croissant  and they were yummy. Mom and I would definitely recommend this one. :) After our yummy lunch, we took a stroll through Greenwich Village to Magnolia Bakery. I had a yummy cupcake and Mom had their banana pudding. I don't know what all of the "negative" reviews were for this bakery- this was one of the best cupcakes I've ever had. So, obviously, we'd recommend this one also. 

After Magnolia Bakery, we decided to start heading back to our hotel. According to our Transit Authority instructions, the subway stop we wanted to get on was "right there". But, somehow we ended up walking for about a half an hour. We finally found a shop with a map (which we purchased), figured out where we were, and got to the subway station. All in all, it was a nice little walk through Greenwich Village though. :)

We got back to the hotel and rested for a few minuted before we headed out to our dinner reservation. There's a lot of naked people in Times Square. There was the Naked Cowboy, the copy-cat Naked Cowboy, the Black Naked Cowboy, and a (Pretty much) Naked Lady. I'm not too cool with that, as you can clearly see. We ate at an Asian Fusion restaurant called Ruby Foo's for dinner. It had really good reviews (and was near the Gershwin Theater), but we just didn't like it. It was kind of like P.F. Chang's (which we really like), but it just didn't taste that good. Plus, Mom's sushi had old/stinky that was a thumbs down. We probably wouldn't recommend this one, especially since there are so many other good places nearby.

Finally 8pm came and we went to see Wicked! It was amazing. Seriously, I love this play. Can I just be Glinda when I grow up? We had 5th row seats for this show. I'm not going to say anything about this play, except to tell you that if you're ever in New York City, you must see it!

Yay, Day 2 down! One more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment