Saturday, May 18, 2013

blueberry protein muffins

I've been looking for a good source of protein for a few months now. I don't eat that much meat, and yogurt still isn't my favorite thing in the world. This afternoon, I found a recipe on Chobani's Pinterest page that I wanted to try. I really really don't like Greek yogurt (by itself), but I was willing to try it baked in something...like a muffin.

I used this recipe for "Power Muffins" from Domesticated Academic, but I made a few changes in the ingredients. I followed her recipe exactly, except I used these ingredients (I italicized the ingredients I changed, and you can click over to Domesticated Academic for the recipe):
  • no-stick cooking spray
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup oats–I used quick oats (about 1/2 of it was Cinnamon Roll oatmeal packets...which is good because I didn't really like that oatmeal)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 15 ounces Greek yogurt (I used some Fage yogurt that Mom had in the fridge...sorry Mom. I made muffins?)
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries (Mine were frozen)
They might not be the prettiest muffins, but I'd definitely make them again. When I put it into a nutrition calculator, it said that there are 5.3 grams of protein in each muffin (compared to 1-2 grams in Betty Crocker mixes). It's not as high as Greek Yogurt alone (usually around 13 grams per container), but it's a good replacement for those of us that don't eat Greek yogurt, but still want the protein. Plus, since there is a banana in it, you get some nice, yummy Potassium. Since it has oatmeal, it's a pretty dense muffin and it's really filling. As in, I'm a little stuffed after having one for desert. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment