Friday, May 3, 2013

pinterest, you have failed me.

First, there was the "Grilled Cheese in a Toaster" incident of 2012. It ended up with a partially burnt/partially cold sandwich and a toaster fire (by toaster fire, I mean that there were tiny flames in the bottom of the toaster). I thought that it would be an easier way to make a sandwich, but I just ended up "setting a small fire that would have burnt the house down if Mommy wasn't home to fix it".

Then, there are the various home remedies I've tried. I blame my "hippie/natural remedy" self on the fact that my mom made my baby food and all. And the fact that we owned like every copy of Firefox (or so it seamed). And the fact that my parents did go thorough that weird "preppers" phase. I just really don't like the side effects of some medications. Like, a sinus infection is bad- but that doesn't mean that I want to have massive stomach pain and cramps due to the antibiotics. So, I've been experimenting with some "natural remedies" from Pinterest in hopes that they might help.

  1. Cinnamon and honey- yummy, but doesn't really work. 
  2. Apple cider vinegar with/without cayenne pepper- nasty tasting, clears sinuses temporarily, but doesn't really work. I don't know why people sing ACV praises. It just tastes like vinegar. It definitely doesn't taste like apples or apple cider. The name is kind of deceptive advertising.

So, I don't really know why I thought this one would.  "Get Rid of the Flu Fast Detox Bath"- sounds like it would work for sinus problems and a severe cold/sinus infection- right? Well, maybe if I had followed the directions.
  • 1-2 cups of Epsom salts- I couldn't find any, so I used a cup of Kosher salt instead. While it was still "salt"- it wasn't the same. At all.
  • 1 cup Baking soda- Baking soda and Baking powder are not the same thing. Just fyi.
  • 2 tbsps powdered ginger- I only used one tbsp. because some recipes said two was too intense and I didn't want to pass out or anything like that.
  • 1/2 cup sea salt-(This should have been my sign that Epsom salts and Kosher salt wasn't the same thing. Max assured me that Kosher salt was just the Jewish version of Sea salt and that they were the same...)
So, maybe I should have followed the recipe. Or maybe I should stop trying to find natural remedies. Maybe Pinterest isn't the solution for everything. While it was a nice bath, it definitely didn't "cure" me. My nose is still stuffy and runny. I still have a cough. I'm really no better than I was before- it's no miracle cure. Maybe I'll just take the antibiotics and deal with the side effects- this crazy sinus junk is no fun. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment