Sunday, October 16, 2011

Change: Your Relationships- Family

We were made for relationship. We were created to live in community. So, we're going to launch off into our next section of the 31 Days of Change. Relationships. No, I'm not talking about the mushy-gushy kind. I'm talking about the "love your neighbor kind". I'm talking about caring for our family here. I'm talking about our relationship with our Father God. Today, we're going to talk about our relationship with our families.


I love my family. I really do. But sometimes, they get on my nerves. I mean, have you tried spending more than five minutes with a thirteen year old boy and a ten year old boy lately? Sometimes our relationships get a bit sour. Sometimes we let our little arguments get in the way. But, I always love them. Even when we yell at each other, when we throw stuff across the room at each other, or when they forget to put the toilet seat down...I still love them. They're my family. I hope that all of you have similar relationships with your siblings. One verse that I try to keep in my mind when I begin to get annoyed by these smallish creatures is Ephesians 4:29-32, which reads "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." I think this is so important to remember. Speak with words that uplift and do not bring down. Speak with words that would benefit others- not words of anger or rage. Be kind. Forgive each other.


Parents. The Bible gives us all sorts of reasons why we should obey them- even when they're more than a little crazy. A few examples:
  • "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." -Exodus 20:12
  • "Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching."- Proverbs 1:8
  • "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish man despises his mother." -Proverbs 15:20
  • "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord." -Colossians 3:20
I'm thinking this means that we need to obey our parents. While sometimes my parents make choices that I don't agree with, I need to respect them. They are my parents, and it is the wise thing to do. Don't I want my future children to treat me the same way someday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment