Tuesday, October 5, 2010

review: permission to speak freely

I review for BookSneeze

I've been meaning to post this blog post for over a month now.
Sorry Charlie. I'm not the greatest at remembering things. Add on the fact that I couldn't post the review before leaving for Chicago and forgot after the fact...we reach the date of October 5th, and Lauren is finally posting.



Permission to Speak Freely by Anne Jackson is quite possibly one of the better books I've read. It's subtitled "Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace" and I believe the subtitle is a very accurate description of the book. It's an easy read, I've read it through twice...and it took me about an hour/two each times. It isn't a hard book. It's not even super deep and theological to the point that people like me have trouble digesting it. Anne doesn't use those big scary words that some authors use...and that turn me off. The book is also full of wonderful pictures. But, they aren't just normal pictures...no. This book reminds me of PostSecret...because as part of her journey to write this book, Anne asked her blog readers what they felt like they couldn't discuss in church. And, in turn, her readers sent in postcards/artwork with their answers. She created a website with some of the artwork that is in the book (along with some new ones) and you can view it here.

My favorite part of the novel occurs on the first page- of the first chapter- in the first sentence. It reads, "Fear has always been the antagonist in my life, and most of the time, I welcomed him. Ironically, he felt safe enough, and I would allow hi to tag along as I walked through my day. I guess I'd liken him in some regard to my little brother, always following one step behind and occasionally running ahead of me." Fear is something I live with. Sometimes it seems to consume all my thoughts and feelings. But, I'm working to a better and brighter future. And this book? Is a step in the right direction.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through the Book Sneeze blogger review program. I was not required to give a positive review and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment